The Hinchburg Chronicles

Page 27 of 37 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Hinchburg Chronicles  - Page 27 Empty Re: The Hinchburg Chronicles

Post by Lesallee Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 pm

Here I am, mad at DWTS Facebook page again. These totally dense goofs have a picture up of Laurie and Val captioned "The Best". Of course they ticked off all the James, Calvin and Jana fans. You would think someone would have a clue that The Winners or Season 23 Champions would have been a much better option. 

Mad!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 pm

I have a feeling that just a picture of Laurie and Val would get a response no matter the heading, and I agree "The Best" wasn't a good choice.  For me this was the first time that I wished that there could have been a tie because it was apparently so close.
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 pm

You know, sue, it just feels so snarky, insulting and condescending to the fans and supporters of James, Calvin and Jana. You would think TPTB would want to reconcile the viewers a bit if only to encourage attendance at the tour. But no, they took the opportunity to rub a little salt into the wound. Dopes.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:39 am

Wish I could give them the finger. Mad
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 am

Lesallee wrote:Here I am, mad at DWTS Facebook page again. These totally dense goofs have a picture up of Laurie and Val captioned "The Best". Of course they ticked off all the James, Calvin and Jana fans. You would think someone would have a clue that The Winners or Season 23 Champions would have been a much better option. 

Mad!

Since the voting was so tight, we could probably figure that 66% of the audience disagrees that Laurie and Val are "the best" and are as bothered by this claim as you are, Lesallee.

For myself, though, I'm still trying to get over the fact that Val, with 2 MBTS,  now thinks he is as good as Mark, Julianne, Kim, and Cheryl, when, in my opinion, he does not come close to their ability to teach, choreograph, and partner, and does not even come close to Lindsey, Emma, Sharna, or Sasha, either, in that regard.   When he is introduced next season as the "reigning champion" I might gag.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:36 pm

You know Psychee, I have considered myself a fan of Val for a long time, but Sharna would have deserved the trophy so much more for her teaching, partnering, and choreographing this season. James would have been a deserving champion anyway. But so is Laurie, and that's why I'm looking at it more from the pros' angle (and apparently I'm not the only one.) You and me, we have been discussing for a long time if she show is manipulated or not. At least for me, this season it clearly was- and it becomes obvious latest by the annoying package dealing with the death of Laurie's grandma (I still don't get how they could do that to her) and with the clear favoring of this team on the fb page (sth that Lesallee has pointed out several times). Not to mention Val himself sobbing on camera. Val has been calling out the producers in the past when the highly produced packages would make him or his partner look bad; especially in the seasons with Rumer and Tamar. This season we got nothing like that from him. I thought at least he would want to protect Laurie from what was about to happen, but no. I cannot believe he really wasn't aware of what was going on. He's not that naive. Thank God Laurie herself probably has no idea of the plots behind the scenes. I've said this before, and I'll stick to my guns: Laurie, James, Sharna, Calvin, and Lindsay- they all held themselves like the professionals they are. Val- not so much. My definition of a champion doesn't match with what he delivered over the season.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:37 pm

I have been a fan of Val's for years so this season was painful for me. The final out come was a "produced" outcome I believe. Laurie was the chosen one from the start but so was Val. With Derek's departure imminent DWTS went for his successors Val and Gleb in a big way. DWTS has always shone their spotlight on the male pros.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Had some trouble with that last post so will finish my thoughts here.

I think the popularity surge of James and Sharna caught TPTB totally by surprise. THAT wasn't in the script! So they had to do some major scrambling in the last few weeks to derail the James/Sharna train. And they were darn near mowed down by the StopAndGo Express anyway. Obvious now why all the last ditch efforts to secure voting for Canadians was doomed. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 pm

But why would the show care who wins?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 pm

They are selling something, Glitters. A multi medaled Olympian sweetheart appeals to their target audience way more than an unknown outside the race world driver. DWTS is still frantically chasing that younger demo which I don't think they have a hope in hell of ever capturing. That age group is abandoning conventional TV in record numbers for things like Netflix. So I think, yeah, they have a huge vested interest in who wins.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Think back of the time when they started off as nothing but a ballroom competition. A lot has changed since then and at some point the show has lost its innocence. Mind you, I'm not just talking about the American version. Nevertheless, there are moments when the magic is still alive. That's what I got from James and Sharna this season.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 pm

James is only 29, though he seems older than that.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:14 pm

I can't say that I have ever been a fan of Val's.  His dancing is fine, but every time I see and hear him in interviews on the screen I think of Eddie Haskell (old character from the Leave it to Beaver TV Show).   He is a master at giving self-aggrandizing compliments to make himself look good.  To me, he oozes phony smarminess, and his obsession with body oil, shirtlessness, and constantly checking out his body in the mirror (he's often teased about this on All Access) is over the top.   And then there is his teaching style.... oy vey...  has he had a partner yet that he has not reduced to tears?

No one else on this show affects me like this guy does.  Folks often try to group him together with his brother, but I think he is VERY different from his brother.  I think Maks is amusing, but Val?  Val has not yet managed to even make me smile.

I wish someone would offer him another job.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:James is only 29, though he seems older than that.
I think the beard makes him appear older than 29. If Laurie had a beard she would look older too. LOL.

Anyway, I am saying Laurie winning was a much plummier marketing opportunity for DWTS  than a virtually unknown, skinny, Canadian race car driver. 

See what I mean about the beard?

The Hinchburg Chronicles  - Page 27 Img_0340
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Here is another Instastory video during the last hectic days of the finale.  Cameos by Lindsay, Calvin, and Laurie.  Sharna also brought up something--she and James finally received their Perfect 10's together for their fusion dance (and their freestyle).

DWTS acknowledges James' journey.
http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/video/most-recent/VDKA3542972

Yay!
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32 pm

A little Hinch pin up for today.The Hinchburg Chronicles  - Page 27 Img_0341
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Lesallee wrote:
I think the beard makes him appear older than 29. If Laurie had a beard she would look older too. LOL.

That was why I was so worried when James shaved off his beard to be the Joker for his Halloween Viennese Waltz.  Thank goodness his beard did grow back quickly! 

Ooooh great pic of James and his sports car!   Very Happy
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:40 pm

I think he acts older than 29 too.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:34 am

I don't see him as being any older than 29, but he does have life experience and wisdom that may ground him  more that some people his age or even older than him.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:36 am

Lesallee wrote:

Anyway, I am saying Laurie winning was a much plummier marketing opportunity for DWTS  than a virtually unknown, skinny, Canadian race car driver. 

See what I mean about the beard?

Totally agree about the marketing thing sis......you hit the nail on the head!!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:48 am

Psychee22 wrote:I can't say that I have ever been a fan of Val's.  His dancing is fine, but every time I see and hear him in interviews on the screen I think of Eddie Haskell (old character from the Leave it to Beaver TV Show).   He is a master at giving self-aggrandizing compliments to make himself look good.  To me, he oozes phony smarminess, and his obsession with body oil, shirtlessness, and constantly checking out his body in the mirror (he's often teased about this on All Access) is over the top.   And then there is his teaching style.... oy vey...  has he had a partner yet that he has not reduced to tears?

No one else on this show affects me like this guy does.  Folks often try to group him together with his brother, but I think he is VERY different from his brother.  I think Maks is amusing, but Val?  Val has not yet managed to even make me smile.

I pretty much disagree with almost everything you have said about Val,  especially about reducing his partners to tears... Laurie is the only one I know of.......not Zendaya, or Ginger, or Rumer or Kelley Monaco or Tamar or Elizabeth Berkley or Sherri Shephard.....they all loved him!!   Do not remember any tears there.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 am

Psychee22 wrote:I can't say that I have ever been a fan of Val's.  His dancing is fine, but every time I see and hear him in interviews on the screen I think of Eddie Haskell (old character from the Leave it to Beaver TV Show).   He is a master at giving self-aggrandizing compliments to make himself look good.  To me, he oozes phony smarminess, and his obsession with body oil, shirtlessness, and constantly checking out his body in the mirror (he's often teased about this on All Access) is over the top.   And then there is his teaching style.... oy vey...  has he had a partner yet that he has not reduced to tears?

I pretty much agree with everything you said about Val and would offer another Val trait. That is playing the role of the sensitive man. Any minor incident can drive him to reach for the Kleenex to mop up the tears. Always the pity me. I think the show should institute a new policy concerning youngsters. Nobody under the age of 21. Lets be honest there is a line drawn that limits just how far the pro can go with adult choreography. Laura looked like the little puppy dog looking up at her master for a treat for a trick well done. James and Sharna were a joy to watch because they looked like they could be hubby/wife or bf/gf and weren't afraid to try anything and looked good doing it. They were very good actors. Blow kisses

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 am

I think James has an old fashioned look to him.  He just looks to me like someone at least in his thirties.  He doesn't have that young and trendy style either that some people his age have.  He doesn't act Hollywood either. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm

I think you are picking up on James' intrinsic Canadianess to fashion a word. As I watched him this past season I often had to say, "Oh James, you are the quintessential Canadian boy!" Americans frequently regard Canadians as just the more northerly version of themselves. Not true, we are very different.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:18 pm

I definitely think Canadians have a quality about them.  Lot of good people from there.  When they say somebody is from Canada, I say that makes sense.  Love Ryan Gosling, but how do you explain Pamela Anderson?  Lol!  Love her too though.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 37 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum