Interview: Frank Valentini

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interview: Frank Valentini

Post by ldeichmill on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:20 pm

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/ghs-ep-frank-valentini-talks-jasam-friz-julexis-steering-the-ship-in-port-charles/2016/08/08/

GH’s EP Frank Valentini Talks JaSam, Friz, Julexis & Steering The Ship In Port Charles!

As the final weeks of summer play out and into the fall on General Hospital, look for some intriguing storylines, and plenty of drama ahead for fans of the ABC daytime drama series.  With recent casting additions, new story for beloved favorites and duos, it’s a good time to tune-in.

On-Air On-Soaps caught up with the man at the helm of the series, Emmy award-winning executive producer Frank Valentini at the ABC TCA summer cocktail reception to get his thoughts on a myriad of subjects related to the show including: bringing Valentin Cassadine to the canvas, big story for JaSam, Julexis, utilizing Genie Francis (Laura) … and, inside the construct of the show from; formulating story with the head writers, to his job of overseeing the GH machine as it churns out episode after episode, and the state of the soap genre in 2016.

In a time where the network soap has to seemingly always rein in its budgets, while still delivering compelling, and exciting content to compete in the daytime space for an audience, Valentini has continued to be an expert in balancing all the aspects for GH to march on 53 years after its beginnings.  So, what’s up at GH?  Here’s what Frank had to say about it.  
 http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/ghs-ep-frank-valentini-talks-jasam-friz-julexis-steering-the-ship-in-port-charles/2016/08/08/

ldeichmill
Power User

Back to top Go down

Re: Interview: Frank Valentini

Post by MPchimesin on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Good interview.....Erika coming to GH why not they could tie her in with the Claudette story somehow.

MPchimesin
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by wizkids32 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes her addition will be great for the show I do like her

wizkids32
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by 431902j on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:15 am

Therte is a lot of mature talent. Glad to see GH isn't just obsessed with teen angst.
It's time Laura had a role that didn't have to include Luke (alive or dead) That ship sailed years ago. Let Tracy or Helena or Blaze or Holly or the devil have him. 
Lulu is a different matter. She is still attached to the fantasy of her usually absent father.
If Lucky can't return (either J J or a recast ) it is cruel to 
take away Laura's other son completely.
I can understand Franco's feelings about biological fatherhood. But he is sort of childlike (in Roger's excellent portrayal) and you want to mother him. Liz has so much experience with abandoned little boys, she could feel maternal about Franco, if nothing else.
Jason is being written having so much anger. He remembers the ordeal that Franco put Sam thru' and the same anger he
felt before he 'died'. But it's out of context now. Instead of focusing on the past, he should be (as Liz pointed out) more concerned with Sam, Danny and the new pregnancy. He couldn't acknowledge Jake before he was taken away, but when Jason returned he has become possessive of Jake. But he conveniently forgets that he had promised to be there for Cam and Aiden.    At least when Nicholas thought Aiden was his child, he included the other boys in play dates with Spencer as well as Aiden.
Writers need to remember that viewers know about all the family members even if they are off screen and about past relationships even if they are long over.  Except for some new viewers who only know the recent past.  Some of us have watched for 53 years.

431902j
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GH Senior on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:41 pm

know what Frank - lousy call today Sept 15th dropping TC (Sabrina) in favor of bringing on your 'newbie's' (like Nell- who cares!!!) and a few others, to the over-inflated cast of GH!  who needed her, just to put a monkey wrench in the Sabrina-Michael pairing!  you take away the good characters, and keep the one's you put in the forefront and it's annoying to many of us! Your choice - is not ours!
Sabrina (TC), was a breath of fresh air, sweet and considerate!  So instead U prop up Ava, the witch with 9 lives, Julian!  U kill off Carlos, only to bring back his brother Joe! keep inflating, and all the really good actors and actresses, of GH, will exit also..  You are annoying Frank and the rest of TPTB.. getting fed up with GH:tantrum 2:

GH Senior
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by FLPeaches on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Indeed  Soapbox   I agree, completely... Indeed 

and whatever happened to our  '♥ love in the afternoon' ?

FLPeaches
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by 431902j on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Frank did not keep G H on for 53 years. For the past few years he has been trying to bring OLTL back to life in G H time slot by bringing actors over from the cancelled show and grandfathering them in to G H.
Those of us who have watched for 53 years, know the back stories of the characters and have aged along with the actors and actresses. 
We still miss and feel the loss of some of the actors and actresses. And we watch every day.
For us the budget of the business isn't an interest. 
Nighttime (primetime) shows cost a lot more, I'm sure. Storytelling goes back to the beginning of civilization. People sat around the fireplace and entertained each other with stories. Soap operas started in 15 minute segments on the radio. When they moved over to black and white television, they were 30 minutes instead of an hour. We listened and then watched. I can not believe reality shows with half dressed people shouting obscenities at each other is better entertainment than our own General Hospital shows.
Just my own humble opinion.

431902j
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by FLPeaches on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 pm

431902j wrote:Frank did not keep G H on for 53 years. For the past few years he has been trying to bring OLTL back to life in G H time slot by bringing actors over from the cancelled show and grandfathering them in to G H.

Those of us who have watched for 53 years, know the back stories of the characters and have aged along with the actors and actresses. 
We still miss and feel the loss of some of the actors and actresses. And we watch every day.

For us the budget of the business isn't an interest. 
Nighttime (primetime) shows cost a lot more, I'm sure. Storytelling goes back to the beginning of civilization. People sat around the fireplace and entertained each other with stories. Soap operas started in 15 minute segments on the radio. When they moved over to black and white television, they were 30 minutes instead of an hour. We listened and then watched. I can not believe reality shows with half dressed people shouting obscenities at each other is better entertainment than our own General Hospital shows.
Just my own humble opinion.

I've been watching faithful since 1968, back when it was actually General Hospital ~ and I really love what you wrote.

FLPeaches
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by believeinme246 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:03 pm

I do too. I don't agree that we need the fancy sets or the hugest budgets. Having simple stories of love and commitment with some adventure is all we need. One of the nicest arcs that DOOL did years ago was Steve and Kayla hanging out together, reading love stories with themselves as the main characters. We can't blame this on budget. Good writing could get us over anything. Such as more Laura and Kevin, more Finn and Hayden, and I wish more Sabrina and Michael.

believeinme246
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by RumbaPassion on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:15 am

GH Senior wrote:know what Frank - lousy call today Sept 15th dropping TC (Sabrina) in favor of bringing on your 'newbie's' (like Nell- who cares!!!) and a few others, to the over-inflated cast of GH!  who needed her, just to put a monkey wrench in the Sabrina-Michael pairing!  you take away the good characters, and keep the one's you put in the forefront and it's annoying to many of us! Your choice - is not ours!
Sabrina (TC), was a breath of fresh air, sweet and considerate!  So instead U prop up Ava, the witch with 9 lives, Julian!  U kill off Carlos, only to bring back his brother Joe! keep inflating, and all the really good actors and actresses, of GH, will exit also..  You are annoying Frank and the rest of TPTB.. getting fed up with GH:tantrum 2:

Exactly!

RumbaPassion
Power User

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum