Between Seasons Conversations

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Between Seasons Conversations

Post by DeadManDancing on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:44 pm

A little dancing between the seasons, anybody?

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Wowee!  Love the song too. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Yes, the song is great. It was also used for Nyle and Peta's week one Cha Cha. Remember?

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm

It's coming back to me, but I quickly looked up the song title and group.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

It's been way too long without a picture of The Divine Mister M on here.

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Take that, sis.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Hooray for our Tommy!!!!

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks Sister Lesallee and Bro DMD for posting these pics of the ever handsome
               Divine Mister M and the incomparable Tommy.  Sure do miss them. Sad

Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm

I agree with sister Babs ......thanks to our sister and our brother for these pics......what a great way to start the morning ...talking to family and getting to see pictures of The Divine Mr. M and King Chong Very Happy Very Happy

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Just to remind everyone- it's only about 8 more weeks away!

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

The Arena by Lindsey Stirling

Post by Psychee22 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:13 am

DeadManDancing wrote:And in case you asked yourself what Derek is doing meanwhile:

Always looking for a new challenge.

Yes.  And look!  He found it.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:04 pm

Psychee? Is it really you? What a nice surprise! This video is great stuff. I can almost imagine how Bruno would go overboard about the production. Mad Max Opera or something like that. You should post it on the Song Thread (under General Topics) as well.
Btw: did you watch last season?

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:31 am

Lindsey Stirling is yet another uber talented Utah Mormon.   She only had music lessons as she was growing up, but her flexibility is off the charts and she she seems to learn new dancing routines in a blink of an eye.  She starts out looking like a total klutz and then with a week's training and practice, she looks like a professional.  She would love to be Derek's next partner on DWTS.  She has performed on the show before, once for tWitch and Allison, and another time for Maks and Meryl, both times as violinist, so she is somewhat familiar with the show, but this video has gotten her fans (about 8 million of them) all excited about getting her on the show as a contestant.  She would certainly be fun to watch. 

I did watch the show last season, Deadie. I didn't really warm up to Nyle, there was something off-putting about him, perhaps it was just the whole narcissism that comes with being a "Top Model", but Peta's work with Nyle was outstanding, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing her softer side.  That she was able to do all that in the first months of a pregnancy, though, seems unreal to me.  The overwhelming sleepiness that comes with a new pregnancy must have been something she had to fight against the whole season, and if she didn't have a bad case of nausea, she was very very lucky. She totally earned that MBT.

My favorite couple, though, were Mark and Paige.  I liked their Paso, their Jive, and their trio Samba especially.  Lindsey and Wanya were my second favorite.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Applause 2016 DWTS Emmy Nominations Announced.  DWTS got eight as follows:

Outstanding Reality Competition Program - 2016

Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program - 2016

Tom Bergeron, as Host
Rob Wade, Executive Producer

Outstanding Choreography - 2016

Derek Hough
"Routines: Footprints In The Sand/Grace Kelly/Cry Little Sister"

Outstanding Costumes For A Variety Program Or A Special - 2016

(Disney Night)

Outstanding Makeup For A Multi Camera Series Or Special - 2016

(Halloween Night)

Outstanding Hairstyling For A Multi Camera Series Or Special - 2016

(The Finals - Part 1)

Outstanding Lighting Design Lighting Direction For A Variety Series - 2016

(Finals - Part 2)

Outstanding Technical Direction Camerawork Video Control For A Series - 2016

(Finals - Part 2)

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Lindsey Stirling really has got talent. Personally, I'd love seeing her on the show. She just might face the same problem as Paige: a lot of people may think she's too good already; and that music video with Derek will probably be considered as previous dance experience. Anyway, Paige was good for Mark, and Lindsey will be good (=challenging) for Derek, so bring her on!
Btw: if there's anyone overdue for an Emmy nomination, it's Mark, with Lindsay close behind. I just don't believe it's ever going to happen. WTF.

So glad you mentioned Peta's softer side. We all totally felt that. It became visible first in her season with Tommy, and it has certainly added to the second mbt. Yes she deserved it! (And Maks tried his best with the cooking, the cleaning, and the laundry; so she would get some sleep).

A lot of us were bummed last season didn't have four finalists, and Wanya and Lindsay were the couple that should have been there.

Now let's see how many of these nominations actually translate into awards, which pros will be on next season, and who their partners will be.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 am

The Divine Mister M is 26 today. Happy Birthday James.

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 am

HaHa, love that it's on a Canadian rail car!  Tommy forever!

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:14 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:
Btw: if there's anyone overdue for an Emmy nomination, it's Mark, with Lindsay close behind. I just don't believe it's ever going to happen. WTF.

Deadie, given a choice, I think Mark would much rather win a Grammy. His music means much more to him than dancing.

That said, though, Mark was awarded an Emmy nomination in 2011 for three dances he did with Chelsea Kane.  Other pros on the show that have gotten Emmys are Tony Dovolani (2006), Cheryl Burke (2 in 2006), Louis von Amstel (2007), Julianne (2008 and then two more with her brother), Chelsea Hightower, Allison (both with Derek) and Witney. 

Getting a nomination today is tougher for DWTS than it was before.  This year the nominations came from FIVE different shows (instead of one or two as before).

Then, there is the problem of having the choreography danced by an amateur when every other show only presents with seasoned dancers.  Choreography is better appreciated when the dancers are dancing it perfectly.  In recent years, only Bindi, Shawn, Alfonso, and Chelsea were represented in nominated competition dances, and they were all excellent dancers. The rest of the nominated dances were specials, and we don't get many of them anymore.

Finally, there is such an explosion of new dance styles now that it seems that the only folks who get nominations are those who are wowing the judges with some dance elements that seem innovative.  It doesn't seem to be enough to just impress with staging and costumes and character portrayal as Mark prefers to exercise his creativity.  There seems to be a need for a WOW movement -- some new trick to add to the dance toolbag for next years' choreographers to build upon. That elegant dive to the floor from Derek's shoulder that Bindi did in her Freestyle, is that kind of movement.

We don't see much in the way of innovation on DWTS.  About the only things I saw last season that I think would qualify were a few (unbelievably gorgeous) lifts that may or may not have been original for the show.  We don't see it at all from those pros who wax ecstatic over "classical ballroom" being the be all and end of all of perfection.  The ideal they are striving for -- which wins trophies at Blackpoole -- is not what wins Emmys.  And it is hard for a pro to get innovative on the show when one of the judges is resistant to change and one other is the "rules police". 

It isn't so difficult to understand then that the guy who has earned the most nominations is also the guy that has gotten the most flack about breaking the rules.  It might piss folks off but he gets bored by doing the same things repeatedly and when he looks at himself doing it, he gets irritated, thinking that he hasn't delivered something special, that it isn't good enough, and he should be ashamed of himself.  He's got a very different mindset than most of the other pros.

One of Derek's goals (he had a bunch) in taking off a few seasons was to further build his dance vocabulary, learn new types of dances, improve his mastery of some others.  He takes dance classes every week in tap, hip-hop,  contemporary ballet and lord knows what else.  He's good friends with all the choreographers from SYTYCD, like Travis Wall and Nappytabs and they work together on projects, pooling their talents in what they call 'passion projects'.  It's like they have created a primordial soup for new dance styles to evolve, and they seed each other's creativity, borrowing stuff and enhancing it with their own special flavor. That's the kind of innovation that the Emmy's look for.

The DWTS producers create and submit an Emmy entry every year for every choreographer on the show who has created something worth submitting.   That means that submissions have been made for Mark, Val, Lindsey, Sharna, Emma, etc every year and although every one of them were probably show-stoppers,  the Emmy judges did not deem them worth being nominated.  From that alone, I think we can conclude that they were looking for something different.

If Derek wins an Emmy this year, and it is a BIG if, I feel pretty sure that he will share the honor with Quest Crew.  Their dances are creative on steroids.

Apologies for the length of this...

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Lesallee wrote:The Divine Mister M is 26 today. Happy Birthday James.

Well hello there handsome..... HappyBday02

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Lesallee wrote:HaHa, love that it's on a Canadian rail car!  Tommy forever!

Sis you just made my day......a picture of the Divine Mr. M  ........AND    Cheech and Chong on the side of a railroad car Laughing    'Who could ask for anything more'!!!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Psychee22 wrote:...

Apologies for the length of this...
Really no need to apologize. Thank you for going into detail and giving me a better understanding of the nomination process. In the end, doesn't it always come down to the same old conflict- tradition vs. innovation, Len vs. Bruno, Derek vs. Val? Is it maybe even necessary to keep the show going? Yes and no. It has been; for quitee a few seasons. But I believe the next generation of pros will resolve the conflict and give us the best of both worlds. That is why my eyes are on Lindsay.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Happy Birthday, James. Wouldn't have found my sisters without you; so I guess I owe you something. But you really could show up in the ballroom more often.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:
... In the end, doesn't it always come down to the same old conflict- tradition vs. innovation, Len vs. Bruno, Derek vs. Val? Is it maybe even necessary to keep the show going? Yes and no. It has been; for quitee a few seasons. But I believe the next generation of pros will resolve the conflict and give us the best of both worlds. That is why my eyes are on Lindsay.

I'm not sure I understand your comment, Deadie.  To me, both the traditional plus the innovative together equals variety, and it is the variety that keeps the audience engaged.  The push and pull between the two should just translate to a more interesting viewer experience.  The show would be boring without it, I think.  Len's carmudgeoness is all part of the fun as is Derek's rule breaking.  It's only a problem when die hard fans fail to see the bigger (ka-ching) perspective and start getting nasty and personal about it. 

The show doesn't need Emmys.  It is thriving.  Although it lost about 3 million more viewers this season in the US, it is still ABC's most watched show and it has become enormously popular internationally.  The U.S. show is now broadcast into Brazil, China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Asia-Pacific, Singapore, Malta, Poland, and Venezuela, and I have read that it is the most popular reality show in the world.  Folks who keep predicting that the show is doomed don't seem to realize that the ad revenue from the US broadcast is only a small part of the profit picture. 

As for the choreography issue, I wonder if you are aware of the fact that most of the pros use outside choreographers for their routines?  According to Louis, the only pros who consistently do all their own choreo are Derek, Mark, and Sharna**, and out of the three, Derek and Sharna are the ones who most enjoy that challenge***.   The rest of the pros regularly hire outside help, for some or most of their dances, and the way that works is that they have to pay those ghosts out of their own pockets, and all work done with those ghosts has to be done off camera and off site.  The pro gets to claim the product as his or her own, though, and if an Emmy is awarded for work that a ghost created, the ghost cannot be named because the ghost was not an employee of the show. 

This all came out when Witney was awarded her Emmy nomination for her work with Alfonso, most of which was choreographed by a guy named Alan Salazar*, who was using videos of those dances in promos on YouTube for his services.  It turned into a sticky situation because the Emmy folks would not allow her to add his name on the entry and he (allegedly) was acting a bit pissy about it****, as were some of her fellow pros at DWTS.  Anyway, it became enough of a headache that after that, she tried to go it alone and the difference was striking.  

Last season, Peta made a point of announcing that someone else had created the "Sounds of Silence" freestyle.  It was a good way to make sure that the choreographer got the accolade she deserved so as to avoid the kinds of problems that Witney stepped into. She handled that very well, I think.

You mention Lindsey as someone who should get a Choreography Emmy, but she uses Alan Salazar, too.  What Lindsey DOES do on her own is to create the story and the costumes and the set design, but that isn't what this Emmy is for.*****

I think Sharna is an excellent candidate for this award, though.  She's got the skills and loves to have the chance to exercise them.  What she needs next is a partner who can dance as well as Alfonso who already has the basics so she can forget about them and just let her imagination free. Alternatively, she could ask for more work choreographing pro dances. 

* Alan Salazar also choreographed for the Maks and Val tour show. 

** They have used outside help, too.  Derek got help for the Bhangra (on camera), Mark got help for his Mario Bros dance, his Contemporary with Alexa and his Freestyle with Paige, and I think I recall Sharna getting help for some dance she had not done before -- was it a contemporary? It was in one of her packages.

I think it is interesting that both Derek and Sharna are also artists.  They both like to draw and paint and create stuff. Choreography must depend on those same kinds of visual artistry.

****Other ghost choreographers took him to task for this, telling him that the cash he got for the work was all the payment that was owed. 

*****Someone ought to give an award -- maybe a people's choice award -- for "favorite DWTS routine by a non-winner".  Lindsey's creations would be favorites.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:19 am

I agree the show doesn't need Emmys, but maybe the pros shouldn't get nominated if they are using ghost choreographers or the ghosts should be nominated along with the pros.  Perfect world. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:27 am

kincaid53 wrote:

Well hello there handsome..... HappyBday02
Happy Birthday to our Divine Mister M.   Rose

Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum