Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation Empty Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation

Post by Buckeye Belle Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 am

Tonight the Top Ten will be selected. Next week the real competition begins. Join us here to share impressions of the performances, reveal your faves, and argue about who should win and who should go home.

So all you dawgs and little ladybugs, please chime in. I am obsessed with you. Write the lyrics and sing the tunes in a key that suits your voice. Maintain control over your vibrato, don't scream, but rock those riffs and runs. Make this thread your own, reveal who you are as an artist, take risks, and make brilliant song choices. Be comfortable in your skin and radiate your star power. If you're a little pitchy, don't worry; you're among friends. We promise not to vote anyone off. And if you have a "moment," you'll get a virtual "Standing O"!

Are you in it to win it? THIS . . . is AMERICAN IDOL!

Power User

Back to top Go down

Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation Empty Re: Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation

Post by Bach98133 Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 pm

I don't think Charlie Askew is going to make it to the the top 10. He was the third performer last night and he picked the wrong song to sing. American Idol is a conservative pop song type of venue. It was simply too shocking for its audience to hear Charlie to scream out a rock song. His troubled child image didn't help either. He is probably better off to front his own band.

Admin

https://bachchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation Empty Re: Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation

Post by Buckeye Belle Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Bach98133 wrote:I don't think Charlie Askew is going to make it to the the top 10. He was the third performer last night and he picked the wrong song to sing. American Idol is a conservative pop song type of venue. It was simply too shocking for its audience to hear Charlie to scream out a rock song. His troubled child image didn't help either. He is probably better off to front his own band.

I agree with you, Bach. I still haven't done a very good job of matching names with voices, and I can't get a bead on which guy is doing best, but I do remember Charlie pretty much blowing it. The only guy whose sound and song styling got me to sit up and take notice was Lazaro. I think he will be a fan fave. Then there was the guy who played piano . . . And the one with the hat . . .

As to the women, I thought most of them were somewhere in the middle. The woman from Liberia, who blew me away last week, was a disaster. I wonder what could have happened to her. The young lady from Alaska just wasn't in the same league as the others. I think they are going home. On the other hand, Amber took my breath away. I could write a whole page about what I heard in her performance. With my unsure recollection of names, I could have the wrong person, but was it Brianna who was also outstanding? Then I think I had a good impression of the lady from South Carolina--could they be the same person? And wasn't there a girl at the piano who sounded like a cross between Alicia Keys and Tori Amos? We shall see. I'm eager to find out.

The girls are amazing this year. The boys have got their work cut out for them.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Ughwhatname Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Buckeye Belle wrote:Tonight the Top Ten will be selected. Next week the real competition begins. Join us here to share impressions of the performances, reveal your faves, and argue about who should win and who should go home.

So all you dawgs and little ladybugs, please chime in. I am obsessed with you. Write the lyrics and sing the tunes in a key that suits your voice. Maintain control over your vibrato, don't scream, but rock those riffs and runs. Make this thread your own, reveal who you are as an artist, take risks, and make brilliant song choices. Be comfortable in your skin and radiate your star power. If you're a little pitchy, don't worry; you're among friends. We promise not to vote anyone off. And if you have a "moment," you'll get a virtual "Standing O"!

Or should it be, for those of us in the Peanut Gallery, "THIS...is AMERICAN IDLE!" ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Ughwhatname wrote:
Buckeye Belle wrote:Tonight the Top Ten will be selected. Next week the real competition begins. Join us here to share impressions of the performances, reveal your faves, and argue about who should win and who should go home.

Or should it be, for those of us in the Peanut Gallery, "THIS...is AMERICAN IDLE!" ?

Uh, yeah, check it out, dawgs! Ugh found another typo! Good work!!! Laughing
Buckeye Belle
Buckeye Belle
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Bach98133 wrote:I don't think Charlie Askew is going to make it to the the top 10. He was the third performer last night and he picked the wrong song to sing. American Idol is a conservative pop song type of venue. It was simply too shocking for its audience to hear Charlie to scream out a rock song. His troubled child image didn't help either. He is probably better off to front his own band.

I agree Bach and I think he knew it also when he was talking with Ryan Seacrest after his performance. I felt sorry for him but I think he is still pretty young and will take this experience and make the best of it. I really liked Lazaro Arbos, Devin Velez, Nick Boddingham, Paul Jolly and Curtis Finch. Of the girls my favorites were Aubrey and Angie followed by Kree, the Country Singer(Janelle?) and Breanna. I will find out tonight if any of my favorites make it.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Dear "Idol" fans,

I'm being held at gunpoint by this crazy woman who says her name is Simone Cowl. She claims she knows enough about singing to critique the competitive performances in the upcoming weeks. She has taken the keys to my car and my electric guitar and says she won't give them back or even let me touch them unless I post her comments as if she were a flakin' judge, fer cryin' out loud.

What can I do? Do you think you could put up with reading that stuff? I told her that if she went away and left me alone I'd give her my favorite stuffed Easter bunny, which would have been a huge sacrifice (her name is Esther Bunny and she's one of triplets) but she turned up her nose at me and responded that rabbits were not her rodent of choice. Yikes!

Oh, well. I hope you don't mind if I comply. It's for a good cause--my freedom! :affraid:

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 am

Now that the top 10 have been decided the real competition will start next week and so far it looks like it will be a good competition. My favorites of the guys is Lazaro Arbos and of the gals is Angie Miller. For those that may have missed the show tonight the top ten are:
Paul Jolly, Burnell Taylor, Curtis Finch Jr., Devin Velez and Lazaro Arbos for the guys. For the gals they are Janelle Arthur, Candice Glover, Angie Miller, Amber Holcomb and Kree Harrison. So let the competition begin!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamweaver Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 pm

How wonderful to have an Idol thread here, in our new home.

I'm pleased with the top ten overall but wish the judges had added a couple more of the girls because I felt that more than five of them deserved to be in the finals. Can't name which ones though; it takes a while for me to get their names straight. Glad I'm not the only one.

It's about time that a girl wins again! Queen

Hey wow! There's an edit button here! Not saying I needed it this time but I will.

How do I get an avatar?

Last edited by Dreamweaver on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just because I can!)
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Dreamy - What a delight to see you at AI! It will be a special treat to read your take on the performances as the season progresses.

I agree with you about the girls. The guys are all very good, but I don't think they're exceptional. I admit, though, to having a very soft spot for Lazaro. I do love listening to him. He has such a wonderful, mellow sound without oversinging.

I could be imagining this, but I think I heard there's going to be a sing-off between the No. 6 guy and girl. I don't know if that means the winner will get to stay on the show with the top 10, or just get to go on the tour. That will be interesting.

See ya next week!

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Dreamweaver wrote:How wonderful to have an Idol thread here, in our new home.

I'm pleased with the top ten overall but wish the judges had added a couple more of the girls because I felt that more than five of them deserved to be in the finals. Can't name which ones though; it takes a while for me to get their names straight. Glad I'm not the only one.

It's about time that a girl wins again! Queen

Hey wow! There's an edit button here! Not saying I needed it this time but I will.

How do I get an avatar?

For your question on avatar try the FAQ and see that answers it for you - I had to get help from Bach98133 myself because I forgot to check FAQ. I'm not sure if we have ever posted together before but welcome anyway!

Do you have a favorite yet on AI!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Buckeye Belle wrote:Dreamy - What a delight to see you at AI! It will be a special treat to read your take on the performances as the season progresses.

I agree with you about the girls. The guys are all very good, but I don't think they're exceptional. I admit, though, to having a very soft spot for Lazaro. I do love listening to him. He has such a wonderful, mellow sound without oversinging.

I could be imagining this, but I think I heard there's going to be a sing-off between the No. 6 guy and girl. I don't know if that means the winner will get to stay on the show with the top 10, or just get to go on the tour. That will be interesting.

See ya next week!

Wow Belle where did you hear about the sing-off? I wonder who the the 6 guy and gal are?
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm

SLA44 wrote:
Buckeye Belle wrote:Dreamy - What a delight to see you at AI! It will be a special treat to read your take on the performances as the season progresses.

See ya next week!

Wow Belle where did you hear about the sing-off? I wonder who the the 6 guy and gal are?

SLA - I don't know. It might have been at the end of the show on Thursday? I have a memory of it--especially the tour part--but I could have dreamed it, and I am given to occasional hallucinations. Rolling Eyes

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Buckeye Belle wrote:
SLA44 wrote:

See ya next week!

SLA - I don't know. It might have been at the end of the show on Thursday? I have a memory of it--especially the tour part--but I could have dreamed it, and I am given to occasional hallucinations. Rolling Eyes

LOL Belle are you sure it could be an hallucination or maybe wishful thinking? I'm doing a little wishful thinking here now because two of the ones I liked didn't make it. Laughing
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamweaver Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Other years the judges have added an extra one or two contestants when they felt some who deserved a chance were overlooked. I hope they do it this year and just go with the best whether boy or girl.

I don't have a favourite yet amongst the girls, really like several at this point, but Lazaro is my top guy.

Yay, I finally figured out how to add an avatar! It's a photo I took in France last June. A red balloon just happened to be rising out of a walnut grove as we drove by. It makes me happy. ☀
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Dreamweaver wrote:Other years the judges have added an extra one or two contestants when they felt some who deserved a chance were overlooked. I hope they do it this year and just go with the best whether boy or girl.

I don't have a favourite yet amongst the girls, really like several at this point, but Lazaro is my top guy.

Yay, I finally figured out how to add an avatar! It's a photo I took in France last June. A red balloon just happened to be rising out of a walnut grove as we drove by. It makes me happy. ☀

Larazo is my favorite of the guys also and I really like Janelle and Angie the best right now of the gals.

Glad you got your avatar to work - it is a great photo and it would make me happy to if I had taken where you did!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Dreamweaver wrote:Other years the judges have added an extra one or two contestants when they felt some who deserved a chance were overlooked. I hope they do it this year and just go with the best whether boy or girl.

Dreamy - Your avatar is just wonderful! And just right! What better reason for having a balloon could there be? It's the stuff of dreams! Just like singing is for these kids. ☀

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

I like Kree and Angie a lot. I haven't seen much of the boys. The female judges, while not openly fighting any longer, have weakened my endurance for tolerating the number of commercials.

I kinda got bummed when Trevor Blakney got booted early on. His group sabotaged him - not deliberately, but effectively. I had previously heard one little snippet from him that pricked my ears up. He's gone. Bummer.

Is the voter competition about to begin? I haven't watched the last two weeks.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 am

singlyme wrote:I like Kree and Angie a lot. I haven't seen much of the boys. The female judges, while not openly fighting any longer, have weakened my endurance for tolerating the number of commercials.

I kinda got bummed when Trevor Blakney got booted early on. His group sabotaged him - not deliberately, but effectively. I had previously heard one little snippet from him that pricked my ears up. He's gone. Bummer.

Is the voter competition about to begin? I haven't watched the last two weeks.

Hi Singly, the voter competition starts Wednesday night. I think it should be a good season from the top 10 that were voted on last week. A couple of the ones I was pulling for did not make it but 7 out of the 10 were ones I liked so I'm ready for the competition to start!
:bounce:
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Bach98133 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I watched about 7 singers tonight before I have to go to bed. I think Angie Miller and Candice Glover are the best two so far. So my votes will go to them, if I could vote.

I can't believe as a Judge, Nicki Minaj was late for a live show. Top Ten and Countdown to Coronation 2343800431

Admin

https://bachchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Simone Cowl Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Unlike my nephew, Simon Cowell, I'm not in the pop music business. But he learned his tact at my knobby knee. I listen to this stuff for the express purpose of finding things wrong with the performances, just like a judge taking a deduction from a gymnast's or figure skater's Olympic score. Heh heh. Too bad Paula's not there to coddle them--it sure isn't my job! Oh, and my remarks are noted before the judges say a word. As if they had any credibility with me anyway! Twisted Evil

Curtis Finch, Jr., "I Believe" - What was that, a smoking jacket? Reddish orange paisley? Good grief. Sorry, the guy has a nice voice, but he sounded like a cookie cutter singer. Singing in his low range, his voice was too breathy, shallow and thin. He stayed in the lower range almost throughout the song, and thus the delivery lacked texture. The choir was nice, but it overpowered the solo. The whole song should have been sung in a higher key - except for the shrill falsetto last note that came out of nowhere! What was that????? A guy trying to show off with irrelevance! Meh.

Janelle Arthur, "Gone" - Carrie Underwood wannabe--cute without the sparkle. This isn't going to help me like country music. Good voice, but no connection with the performance--looked and sounded like a wind-up toy. Carrie's "Before He Cheats" was much more fun to listen to. Meh.

Devin Velez, "Temporary Home" - What is this, a Carrie Underwood tribute? For a song I couldn't get into, technically pretty good. He had a soft, quiet start with a good transition to more volume. Good articulation after key modulation. The last note--another unnecessary slide up--was shaky. Altogether, he was surprisingly sensitive and controlled. What am I saying? That's Keith Urban talk!

Angie Miller, "I Surrender" - I must have come with a different set of ears than the judges--or a different sound system. This girl is talended, no doubt. The beginning of the song was too sweet, and a couple of notes were off pitch. Her voice sounded strained in the upper part of her range. Before the modulation, there was one note that sounded completely off, as if she'd been supposed to go up a half step but went up a whole step instead. The delivery of the song as a whole was immature.

Paul Jolley, "Amazed" - What are these judges thinking? They were far too easy on this performance. Handsome guy--Lee DeWyze reinvented? Another soft, whispery introduction with too much breath. Not enough high notes to show off voice quality. Competent delivery, but very--OK, I'm gonna say it--karaoke. Oh, yes, and another contrived ending that he didn't pull off. When are they going to learn?

Candice Glover, "I, Who Have Nothing" - OK, the judges have taken their earmuffs off and decided to listen. The rhythmic arrangement of the song was compelling. Great support under the lower notes (take notice, all you breathy whispery singers). This girl knows how to move from full to head voice. The runs made sense and were there for the song, and not just to show off. This is how it's done, people! This could be one of the BEST VOICES EVER on the show! A singing clinic.

Lazaro Arbos, "Breakaway" - Oh, no--more whispery notes in the lower range. This is not looking good. I sense nerves, there's no texture to the delivery, and the pitch was off. There wasn't enough volume for the high notes on the bridge. I have to call "karaoke" again. The song did not hold my interest. I actually feel bad about this performance.

Kree Harrison, "Crying" - Technically, I have the same comments as for Candice on support, control and transition of phrases. This was a "B+" To Candice's "A." The emotional delivery was very good, but didn't light any fires. Oh, and Nikki was right about the waffles.

Burrell Taylor, "Flying Without Wings" - This is a nice voice. He was a little less "whispery" than the others, but I felt this was a, like, community "talent show" performance and not particularly outstanding. Told a story, but didn't sell the song. Very average, but at least there wasn't a show-off ending.

Amber Holcomb, "A Moment Like This" - This performance should have put the judges to sleep, not have them standing up! It was pitchy, too hurried and nasal. The diction was slurred. This is a wonderful voice that must have taken the day off today. I'm sure she'll be back, but this was very disappointing.

Well, with so much room for improvement, next week has to be better, right!

Last edited by Simone Cowl on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Simone Cowl
Simone Cowl

Back to top Go down

Post by rc49ers Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I wanted to vote on line only to find out you have yo use your FB account , so i will do my votes by calling in votes , i think Kree is a great singer and giving her all my votes calling them in
rc
rc49ers
rc49ers
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Very nice recap Simone! I've still got 13 minutes before it comes on here! What was the deal with Nicki coming in late? That's what Bach98133 was saying anyway. Question

I had the same problem last week Bis - a pain in the backside for us that do not have or use Facebook! Mad
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamweaver Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Oh dear, I kept dozing off until Amber finally woke me up.

Fortunately, according to Simone Cowl, I didn't miss much.
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Simone Cowl Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Dreamweaver wrote:Oh dear, I kept dozing off until Amber finally woke me up.

Fortunately, according to Simone Cowl, I didn't miss much.

Stick with me, Dreamy. ❤ I may be a little rough around the edges but I won't steer you wrong! Hopefully, the sleep did you more good than watching these performances would have.

Ha ha! I course, I thouroughly enjoyed them--so much to pick apart. Almost as much for all ten singers as there would have been just for me if I'd have competed a couple of years ago when I was that age! :P
Simone Cowl
Simone Cowl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top