The Battles

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Battles - Page 2 Empty Re: The Battles

Post by Guest Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Widder Woman wrote:Kerfuffle Politics: The Statement Adam Levine Shouldn't Need To Make

by Linda Holmes
May 29, 2013 2:13 PM

Tuesday night on The Voice, Adam Levine — who's the lead
singer of Maroon 5 when he's not judging reality television — had two of
the singers on his team eliminated. To understand this, just know that
each of the four judge-coaches (Levine, Shakira, Usher and Blake
Shelton) starts out with a team of singers they're mentoring, and as
they go through the competition, the coaches get pretty attached to the
folks on their team and try to help them win. If one of your singers
wins, you're sort of the "winning" coach for that season.

At the end, there were three singers left — Sarah Simmons and
Judith Hill, both from Levine's team, and Holly Tucker, from Blake
Shelton's team. Two of the three would get the boot. Tucker was the one
"saved" by audience voting, meaning Levine's two singers were
eliminated. Hill, in particular, has to have been a particularly tough
blow — she's very talented and was widely seen as a strong contender for
the victory.

But as he waited for the final results, with two of his good
singers imperiled, Levine muttered, "I hate this country." And because
apparently we don't have enough other things to worry about, this became
a kerfuffle.

It's perfectly, totally, painfully obvious that Adam Levine was
saying one of two things: (1) He was making a lighthearted statement
that he was mad at the voters for potentially getting rid of his
singers. Sort of, "Darn you, America." (2) He was making a slightly more
serious statement that America, as a voting population, often shows
terrible taste in singers. And, perhaps, though we're now getting into a
bit of light mind-reading, also has a way of unexpectedly shortchanging
women of color (like Hill) (Elton John famously said the same thing about American Idol
years ago when Jennifer Hudson, a person of some talent of whom you may
have heard, finished seventh behind several people you've never heard
of unless you are a die-hard Idol person).

More at:
[url=http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/05/29/187069279/kerfuffle-politics-the-statement-adam-levine-shouldnt-need-to-make
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/05/29/187069279/kerfuffle-politics-the-statement-adam-levine-shouldnt-need-to-make[/quote[/url]]

The Battles - Page 2 1014159512 WW...That is one I read and could not agree more. People making to much out of what he said most of what I have read most people understood why he said it and not judging him.

Th

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Honestly, Whit, I fear we've all lost our sense of proportion, not to mention our sense of humor. This has been an absolutely stupid dust-up. The remark didn't need excusing. It's those trying to make something of it who ought to examine what they're saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Widder Woman wrote:Honestly, Whit, I fear we've all lost our sense of proportion, not to mention our sense of humor. This has been an absolutely stupid dust-up. The remark didn't need excusing. It's those trying to make something of it who ought to examine what they're saying.

Could not agree more with you WW.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks, Whit.

I think there are some part of the population who can hardly wait to be outraged.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Good to see you back, WW, and I completely agree with your last comment. We've gone WAY overboard with sensitivity to the slightest perceived insult.

I didn't even watch the elimination - too much crap to wade through. I'm sure if I'd heard him say that, I would've taken it with the humor he no doubt intended. He's told each of the other judges he hated them, always in a joke. Why change his meaning now?

Sorry to hear Sarah Simmons was eliminated. She and Michelle were my favs. I've removed the show from my DVR. Not enough left to warrant investing the time.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 am

This is Widder Woman's sock puppet. For some reason the system logged me out as WW and won't let me log back in. Grace says she's looking in the administrative area to see if she can figure out what's going on. In the mean time, this is still me.

Michelle Chamuel is still in, and growing stronger each week. However, that must be tempered with the realization that all remaining contestants have gotten stronger each week. My guess is Danielle Bradbery will take it all, and that would be fine with me. She's outstanding.

Nice to see you, too, Singly.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 am

I haven't been crazy over the song choices of late. But that's probably MY problem. I don't listen to the radio and have no idea what's "in." I think I stopped listening to current stations when rap entered the music(??) scene. What, early 90's? As a result, I'm out of touch.

While I'm cleaning, I using the playlist on my computer. In the car, it's the oldies station.

I DO like Michelle, but I agree with you WW. I think Danielle will take the prize. I have to admit, she has a beautiful voice.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:13 pm

All I said was "Regardless of what happened that was not cool of him to say that" and I stand by what I said. Everyone knew he was upset but he could have waited to say it when he was off camera. All those celebrities know that what they say on camera will have some sort of backlash. I didn't say I was holding a grudge against him or anything like that. I still like Adam Levine regardless. I'm not trying to make something out of it. It happened...case closed. And as to what the article said, I for one do not toss people of color aside due to prejudice. If a person of color deserves to win then by golly they should win. As I said, I liked Lauren Hill. She was one of the top contenders in my opinion. But I'm not the rest of America so what I say alone doesn't count. I'm not one of the Americans that heard what he said and am taking it over the top and holding a grudge. I just hope that some of these statements weren't directed solely at SLA and myself because I kind of feel like I got my hands slapped for making a statement even though I don't agree with people acting like he is a total jerk now and can't forgive him.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 pm

rkc1960 wrote:All I said was "Regardless of what happened that was not cool of him to say that" and I stand by what I said. Everyone knew he was upset but he could have waited to say it when he was off camera. All those celebrities know that what they say on camera will have some sort of backlash. I didn't say I was holding a grudge against him or anything like that. I still like Adam Levine regardless. I'm not trying to make something out of it. It happened...case closed. And as to what the article said, I for one do not toss people of color aside due to prejudice. If a person of color deserves to win then by golly they should win. As I said, I liked Lauren Hill. She was one of the top contenders in my opinion. But I'm not the rest of America so what I say alone doesn't count. I'm not one of the Americans that heard what he said and am taking it over the top and holding a grudge. I just hope that some of these statements weren't directed solely at SLA and myself because I kind of feel like I got my hands slapped for making a statement even though I don't agree with people acting like he is a total jerk now and can't forgive him.

Rkc this statements were directed solely at me IMO and I chose to ignore and hope that you will do the same.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:25 pm

My comments were directed at all the remarks I've seen in the media about a large number of people having taken offense at what Adam Levine said. There were so many of them that the article I reprinted here was in response to them. Should I not be talking about something that has had widespread coverage?

When you talk about "Lauren Hill" I assume you mean Judith Hill. I'm not sure how she got into this topic. In fact, I'm not sure how any people of color got into this topic. I thought this topic was about Adam Levine and the people who were offended by what he said who made a mountain out of a mole hill over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Really? The fact that there was a national blow-up over Adam Levine's comments means I was directing my remarks at rkc and SLA?

Wow.

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Miss Grundy wrote:My comments were directed at all the remarks I've seen in the media about a large number of people having taken offense at what Adam Levine said. There were so many of them that the article I reprinted here was in response to them. Should I not be talking about something that has had widespread coverage?

When you talk about "Lauren Hill" I assume you mean Judith Hill. I'm not sure how she got into this topic. In fact, I'm not sure how any people of color got into this topic. I thought this topic was about Adam Levine and the people who were offended by what he said who made a mountain out of a mole hill over it.

Sorry, I meant Judith Hill and the reason it got brought up was because that was in the article you posted.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:24 am

rkc1960 wrote: All those celebrities know that what they say on camera will have some sort of backlash.

^^THIS^^ My agreement with WW had nothing to do with you or SLA. My sentiments are that the media takes a whisper and turns it into a growl. Once they do, the entire country is roaring over some perceived slight. Too many think they have authority over a celebrity's words/life. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn he's received a death threat or two over his comment. This judgment of/interjection into the lives of celebs is FAR out of hand.

Sorry if either you or SLA thought this was directed at you. My apologies if my comment made you think so.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am

singlyme wrote:
rkc1960 wrote: All those celebrities know that what they say on camera will have some sort of backlash.

^^THIS^^ My agreement with WW had nothing to do with you or SLA. My sentiments are that the media takes a whisper and turns it into a growl. Once they do, the entire country is roaring over some perceived slight. Too many think they have authority over a celebrity's words/life. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn he's received a death threat or two over his comment. This judgment of/interjection into the lives of celebs is FAR out of hand.

Sorry if either you or SLA thought this was directed at you. My apologies if my comment made you think so.

I do agree that the media takes a whisper and turns it into a growl. However, it is what it is with the media; the celebrities know this, so maybe celebrities should be a little more mindful of what they are saying in front of a national audience.

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 am

singlyme wrote:

You're fine Singly...no need to apologize to me...water under the bridge...
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 am

sdreindeer wrote:
singlyme wrote:

I do agree that the media takes a whisper and turns it into a growl. However, it is what it is with the media; the celebrities know this, so maybe celebrities should be a little more mindful of what they are saying in front of a national audience.

I agree with you Rein...you would think that these celebrities would learn by now that it's going to blow up in their face and then the majority go back and apologize later...some sincere, some not. How about this...don't say it out loud to begin with. I'm not speaking of Adam Levine right now but some celebs use their status as a platform to say all kinds of things that will surely piss some people off and wonder why they lose fans. Example: If I go to a concert I don't want to hear the singers political views and hear them go on a rant about someone and that person not be there to defend themselves...just shut up and sing...
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Amen rkc and I agree with you rein.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 pm

singlyme wrote:

singly ...I agree with what was said between WW and you. I feel that the media turned this around to make it worse than it was . I feel that what Adam said was in the heat of the moment , shocked, and pissed off at the time. Like I said before we say things we regret after it was said celebrity or not we all are human and do things or say things that we should not. Adam meant that he hates this country due to how the country voted which still many are shocked that his two singers were both voted off. But after watching this show since it started the majority of the people seem to like country music which is popular at this time.

SLA44 post was directed at me IMO and nobody else and to be honest part of mine was directed at her. But there is a long history behind that which I will not go into detail but I just had enough and should not of posted my thoughts to her on this board. But I still stand behind the words I said but the media has let this die and I think we should too.

Have a great Sunday !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Blake Shelton didn't lose any of his team. Adam Levine lost two members of his. If Adam had said, "I hate you, Blake," would anyone have thought he really meant it, or would everyone have understood it was said as an expression of disappointment over the outcome?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum